Sunday, September 23, 2007

Interviewing

Interviews are probably the scariest part of a career. A serious fear of mine is totally blowing an interview for a job I really want. I read this article about interview blunders which seemed to offer some good advice. The biggest problem I think I would have from the list would be lack of knowledge about the company or position. I would not have the problems of over confidence or talking too much because those have never been characteristics of mine.

I was surprised to read that an unkempt appearence was a common problem in the professional world. I thought that that would be rare. However, I have heard of one instance recently where someone showed up for a professional interview in cut offs and a t shirt and was asked to leave after a few minutes.

One thing I found hard to deal with would be trying not to appear overly confident. There's a fine line between trying to impress the person interviewing you and being to cocky about your knowledge or qualifications for the position.

All in all, I was not surpised to see many of these blunders on this list. However, I don't feel that many of these things will be a problem for me. I just hope I'm not being too confident!

No comments: