Sunday, September 30, 2007

Reflection on Resumes and Cover Letters

I found this week's blog assignment to be particularly difficult because all the articles i found seemed to say the same things I've heard over and over again about resume writing. I read this article about what to do and what not to do when emailing recruiters because this was probably the most relevent topic to me at this stage in my career.

The article explained many of the same things the book did about avoiding Instant Messaging jargon and getting to the point of the email. The article also reccomended the direct method and avoiding being cute. I have already begun to follow its advice by sticking to a simple email address that does not contain any words that may turn away an employer. Examples given by the article of an email address that should not be used was "slackerboy" or "sexgoddess."

One helpful hint I found was that knowing a lot about a position is very important to employers. The article said applicants should match part of the job description to their skills to show how much they know about the positon as well as their qualifications.

The article suggested that, if attaching a cover letter, there should be a short note in the email. That is, if you don't feel that the email is a sufficent enough cover letter. I believe that the email should serve as the cover letter because I feel that there is really no need to say the same thing twice.

This article was very informative and contained a lot of good information. However, I didn't really feel like it was incredibly helpful because it did not really tell me anything I didnt' know already.

No comments: